Friday, February 20, 2009

Buffy Houser M.D.

Sit back folks, this is going to be a long one.

You see, I'm going to try to explain my historical late-to-the-gameness with Joss Whedon while pushing my early adoption of all things Neil Patrick Harris.


I'm somewhat tempted to say "Why bother? No one cares. On the Internet, reviewing Dr Horrible is like commenting on the dinosaurs... and not the cool post Jurassic Park dinosaurs. I mean like the stand up straight, tail-dragging Godzilla dinosaur-bones that we grew up with. Besides, I've got nothing to prove. My pre-cool evangelism of trendy things like the Evil Dead and John Woo is already recognized... so all you Joss Whedon Fanboys can suck it."

But then I thought, "Shut the hell up blog boy and make with the funny. You are a Court Jester, at best. Maybe folks are missing your stupid nonsensical rants. Wasn't that one of your core contributions to all those sad sad days in the office? This meta-commentary on your blogging process is like filming yourself spanking it to a porno of yourself in bed with a girl wearing a mask of yourself... yourself.... get on with it already."

So as I was saying, I'm pretty late to the Joss Whedon multiverse. I never really understood Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Blonde chick kicks vampire ass every week. rinse wash and repeat. Oh they've got witty teenage slang and banter? Whatevers. When I passed by Sarah Michelle Geller at the Hard Rock Casino, my first thought was "hey that tiny chick was Buffy." My second thought was "she's way too small to kung-fu a vampire." But several of my friends liked the show, so I would watch it occasionally. "Really, that dude's girlfriend is really an alien preying mantis? And she's going to bite off his head while they are boning? really, this is a great show?"

Then I saw this one episode where these tuxedo wearing monsters come to town and steal everyone's voices. In the silent chaos, they start murdering teenagers and cutting out their hearts. The bad guys were creepy and during the whole episode, the story is told without dialogue. This was something new. I had to concede that perhaps there was something to this Buffy show. Its not for me, but I get it.


Then I totally missed the boat on Firefly. Dumb looking ship. Goofy looking guy. Horses. Ryan told everyone to watch the show on DVD when the movie came out. I did. It rocked. Best Sci-Fi on TV... EVER!

I also completely missed Doctor Horrible's sing along Blog. NPR told me about it while pimping Whedon's new show Dollhouse. While I hate musicals, Doctor Horrible is good stuff (aside: damn this blog should have been a spin on the silent episode wining me over while ranting against the singing episode). You should invest 45 minutes of your life and watch it here:




I will now go on record to say that Dr Horrible's success is largely due to this guy:



Playing the title role, Neil Patrick Harris is a joy to watch. I can't thank Harold and Kumar enough for bringing NPH back to mainstream media. More and more, I am loving everything that he does. I tolerate the John Cusack wannabe dork of "How I met your Mother" to get my fix of NPH's bro-code spewing Barney:



The man is hilarious. Need more proof? What guy doesn't implicitly understand the hot vs crazy curve:



Watch out for him. Neil Patrick Harris is already a cult icon and will someday be a star.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with you on the Buffy stuff. I liked the show a lot, but when I saw the 'HUSH' episode, it changed everything. I was actually creeped out and scared. It was the 2nd best episode ever, next to "Once More, with Feeling" which every Buffy fan knows is the 'Musical' episode. I even have the soundtrack. They closed Comic-Con last year with a "Once More, with Feeling" sing-along, FYI. Hi Marc!