Tuesday, March 17, 2009

an ALICE essential

So we wake up to Sarah and Vinnie on 97.3 Alice radio. The morning show has really gone downhill since No Name left. I don't care for Sarah, Vinnie, Hooman, or any of the other personalities. If I won the lottery, I would probably get Sirus/XM and listen to the Adam Corolla show. He cracks me up.

Anyway, ALICE was giving away Kelly Clarkson tickets a few weeks ago. She's not my favorite either. Don't get me wrong, I'm not an Anti-American Idol snob. I'd probably go see David Cook. Backed by Chris Cornell production, he's absolutely dreamy. TRY TO LEAVE THE LIGHT ON WHEN I'M GONE, TRY TO LEAVE THE LIGHT ON WHEN.... where was I? Oh yeah, I don't like her, but I noticed Bex has a few Kelly Clarkson CDs so I tried to win the tickets.

The way to win was to be the 9730th person to text the word "bacon" to their radio station. Oh my bacon! So I started texting away. I noticed that their auto response message actually told you what number you were when you failed. If I typed bacon as fast as I could, the increment was only going up by an average of 45. One in 45 chances? I rock!!!

It turns out that I didn't rock. I was 5 off on my last text:



The next day, Alice changed their ping-back to exclude your actual count. They also changed the word to be something different, lame, and hard to spell. Way to go Alice.

As a side note, the learning algorithm on my POS I-phone now think almost every proper noun beginning with the letter "B" is a mispelling of Bacon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, you're in luck: the horrible waste of Adam Carolla's genius that is The Adam Carolla Show has been canceled. This is good news because he immediately started his own daily podcast in which he can swear, have no commercials, and (most importantly) actually be funny again:
http://carollaradio.com/podcasts/

You can thank me later.