
In our house, I am the gas fairy. Bex has a tendency to drive the CRV until it is running on empty.
"When the light goes on, I know I need gas."
"How many times have you run out of gas?"
"Only once."
"Once too often."
So whenever I take her car out on my own, I fill up the tank. Rebecca never really notices and always seems shocked when the light goes on.
"I thought I just got gas."
"Funny, I filled it up twice this week."
"Really?"
A week after I had lost my job, I started having problems with my credit card at the pump. After typing in the zip code, the machine started telling me to see the attendant. Immediately, I'd get defensive. "How do they know I lost my job? My credit is still good. I've got thousands of dollars in the bank!!! What the hell?" Then I would go see the attendant and tell them to open the pump.
"I want to fill up my tank on pump #2"
"So how much should we put on the card?"
"I don't know, just fill it up."
"We can't do that."
"Okay... (quick math in head)... lets do $22"
It was all very frustrating. Slide card. Rejection. Attendant banter. Math. I started to dread the gas station and the gas fairy took a vacation.
"It seems like I'm filling up my tank all the time now."
"Yeah. what's up with that?"
It took me about 3 weeks to realize that I had changed the address for my credit card to Rebecca's house before the move. Instead of Belmont 94002, my home address was now San Jose 95118. Chalk another one up to the crazy insecurities associated with unemployment.
2 comments:
WHAAAAAAAA???? there is no gas fairy???? I suppose you are also going to tell me there is no Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, The Great Pumpkin or Tooth Fairy either????
I thought the gas fairy was a person who farted way too much.
Post a Comment