Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Bro Code Article 106

"Given an option on quantity when ordering a beer with his Bros, a Bro always selects the largest size available or shall never hear the end of it that night."




I learned this rule my first night in Prague. Jet-lagged, I wandered into a blues bar and made friends with a crazy group of Irish men and women who were in town for a wedding. When the waitress came by, I ordered a medium beer because I was fairly tired and all that. The Irish were not impressed. They immediately changed my order. The lass to my right said, "In this country, men always order large beers. If you don't want it all don't drink it all, but only women can order small beers." So I drank my beer and another one came. I drank that, then someone ordered a round of absinthe. I drank that, then another beer came. The bro to my left said, "In Prague, the waitress will keep bringing you beer until you ask her to stop."

I left the bar at 5 AM more tired than drunk... but to be fair, I was exhausted. Strolling down an absolutely deserted St. Charles bridge, I thought, "this is a good start to my vacation."

No comments: