Friday, May 15, 2009

The Ring Master


A few weeks ago, I got to meet world famous pinball designer John Popadiuk, creator of well respected classics such as Tales from the Arabian Nights and Theatre of Magic. In the golden era of Bally Williams, Popadiuk's designs stood out with intricate sweeping plastic ramps and fantastic modern theme integration peppered with old school devices like roll-over buttons. I remember Ted Estes saying once that Popadiuk innovated by prototyping with bending foam board to simulate his crazy ramps.

Whatever he did, Popadiuk rocks. I own two of his machines. World Cup Soccer '94 is fun for experts and beginners alike with instantly recognizable objectives of shooting goals and ramps to win soccer games. With the home roms, Cirqus Voltaire is in most first rate pinball collections. CV broke the mold in so many ways. If I had to thin the herd to 3 machines, Voltaire would still be a keeper.

No comments: