
New Trek was one hundred and twenty minutes of awesome. Following the example of Iron Man, JJ updated the dorkster content with light and sexy action in a perfect geek-chic cocktail. I laughed, I cried, I thought nasty and cruel thoughts about the red shirts.
In all seriousness, they did two great things with New Trek. First, by ctrl+alt+deleting the timeline through event changing time travel, the writers broke the chains of 60's Trek forever. We now have angst-y new modern Kirk and Spock rocketing around a universe where anything can happen. Which brings me to awesome point number two. In this retcon, they emphasize the parallel Kirk/Spock rebellious youthiness. You really get the feeling that dynamic duo was meant to be together. Sure sure, they start out enemies like Murtogg and Rigs. Kirk is all brash and crazy. Spock goes around saying "I'm too logical for this shit" but they wind up good cop buddies in the end. I left this flick hungry for more Trekkie goodness. This is now the summer film to beat.
1 comment:
Wow, you're crowning a summer movie winner already? Harry Potter isn't even coming out for another two months!
Post a Comment